Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Island Vacation - Caye Caulker

Anytime I tell someone I live in Belize they always respond, "Oh wow! Lucky you!"  I have never understood this since I live on the mainland and am surrounded by dirt and bugs.  The most anyone knows of Belize, if they even know of Belize at all, are what they see in the tourist pictures.  These photos are used to lure in tourist with the images of soft, sandy beaches, blue-green oceans and the mirage of paradise.   Well NOW I know what that beauty is like.  After my trip to Tulsa I got to spend 5 days and 4 nights on the beautiful island of Cay Caulker.  This is the smaller, quieter of the two most popular islands here off the coast of Belize.  It is about 5 miles long and not even a mile wide.  Located about 20 miles off the coast of Belize arrival to the island is normally by plane (an 11 min. plane ride)  or by boat (45 min. ride).   I was hoping to visit the Blue Hole or at least do a snorkeling trip to the Belize Barrier Reef that was located about a mile away from my hotel. This reef is the 2nd largest in the world and is filled with a variety of fish, corral and other undersea wonders.  Sadly I was unable to visit them....maybe on my next trip. 



Yes, this is the plane I took to the islands. It fits about 6 people, including the pilot. I sat in the last seat in the back, literally in the tail of the plane.  While I am not scared of flying, I haven't been in a plane this small for a while and I will admit that I was slightly nervous for most of the ride.  I was very glad my mother wasn't with me as she would have been freaking out, probably making us crash. 



View the first night, shortly after I arrived to my hotel.  THIS is when I started to see why everyone thought I was lucky to live in Belize. :)




This house had a "For Sale" sign on it.  I'm thinking investment property.....






Aww...the warm sun on my face, the sand between my toes. This was JUST what the doctor ordered.  Trust me, two week spring breaks are a MUST when you are a teacher. 'Cause everyone knows a week just isn't enough.  :)




Anyone that knows me, knows I LOVE my food.  The island really had a great selection of food and some of the best I've eaten here in Belize.  Because they are located near the water there is always a supply of fresh seafood.  Before, this would have presented a problem as I never liked seafood, but thankfully my pallet is wide enough to now enjoy this selection of the food chain.  This was my first meal, a fish sandwich with fries. Since I had never eaten anywhere in Belize without the Joiners I was at first a little worried.  But I prayed & decided if it was my time to die I would at least go out enjoying a good meal.  Then I just walked down the beach until I saw a place I liked. :)
 I wasn't disappointed.   




Saw this and thought of all my Little Rock, AR friends.  "Welcome to my island guys!" 





Another GREAT meal.  
Belize style rice & beans with garlic break and veggies w/chicken on a Kabob.  





This was the closet in my hotel, thought it was the cutest thing ever. 




My very lovely hotel room.  




Yes, the pool behind me overlooked the beach.  Kind of like a double luxury. 








1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures....You are a very special person and your dad and I are so proud of you and your dedication to God and His work....glad you got a little vacation...you deserve it!

    PS...I am VERY GLAD I was not on that plane!!!

    ReplyDelete